The Communication mentions that the Commission will improve the methodological basis for a more systematic adoption of requirements related to material efficiency in product Regulations, both new and due for review.
To this end a standardisation request to the European Standardisation Organisations on material efficiency aspects has been adopted (2015). The scope of this request covers, primarily, the following aspects:
- Extending product lifetime
- Ability to re-use components or recycle materials from products at end-of-life
- Use of re-used components and/or recycled materials in product
The ongoing work on the Product Environmental Footprint is to also contribute to this objective.
This document was released together alongside the following pieces:
- Regulation on eco-design requirements for air heating and cooling products and chillers, Annexes 1-5
- Regulation on tolerances in verification procedures for all eco-design measures, Annexes 1-25
- Regulation on tolerances in verification procedures for all eco-labelling measures, Annexes 1-15
- Guidelines on eco-design self-regulation measures for industry, Annex
- [available soon] Impact assessment on the regulation on eco-design requirements for heating and cooling products and chillers